Tuesday, March 23, 2010

So, A Cardiologist Walks Into A Bike Shop...

The title of this post is the exact subject line of an email I got a few days ago from my friend Tim.  We'll get to the rest in just a minute... 

It's hard to convince members of the medical community that meat and fat are good and grains are bad.  I know, I defended my oatmeal and whole wheat bagels for far too long!  It wasn't until I actually tried Paleo that I became a believer and as a registered dietitian - it's a small miracle that I did.  But, if it's possible for me, it's possible for anyone.  Here's the rest of Tim's email:

Amy,


No punchline, but a cardiologist, regular customer of mine, (Tim owns a sweet bike shop in Rapid City, SD), came in to chit-chat about nutrition.  He knows I've been Paleo for a couple of years, and thinks that the 'high fat and high protein' is gonna kill me.  But, he came in to ask some questions, and seems interested.


The funny thing, we compared NMR lipid profiles and I'm destroying him, (if it's a competition).  Just crushing!


Me: (Tim) - 2 years Paleo
HDL: 94 (very large particle)
LDL: 135 (all huge, fluffy pattern A)
Triglycerides: 45


Cardiologist - more or less 'prudent', low fat SAD (Standard American Diet):
HDL: 35
LDL: 110 (small, dense pattern B)
Triglycerides: 188


...and he thinks I need to lower my animal sourced foods (red meat, organs, natural fats) and put in some 'healthy grains'.  Well, I got him to promise to read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories.  He was impressed that I knew my stuff and beat him down on all the points he raised.


It'd be awesome to get a cardiologist to come around.  He'd be able to affect many, many, many lives!


Tim

Comments...

1 comment: