Saturday, September 10, 2011

Need Some Paleo Comfort?


This week I got a gift in the mail and it's the best gift I've gotten in quite a while.  When the mail guy said he had a package for me I hugged him because I knew what it was.  I was WAITING for this to show up (and FYI I am not a good waiter...).  Now I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats wondering what I got.  Well, it wasn't that check from the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes that I've been expecting for the last five years or so, (that one must have gotten lost in the mail...).  And it wasn't the complete third season of "True Blood" from Netflix (that one's still on the way...).  No, it was even better!  I finally got my advanced copy of the brand new, release date, September 12th, "Paleo Comfort Foods" cookbook by Julie and Charles Mayfield!!


This book is like the Paleo cookbook equivalent of the Bible - I kid you not!  Paleo fried chicken, enchiladas, barbeque sauce, ketchup, sweet potato pie, biscuits and gravy, chocolate pudding...  The only thing that could make this book better - a killer recipe for ice cream.  Maybe they're holding out for the second edition...  


What makes this even more exciting, after meeting and talking to Julie and Charles at the Ancestral Health Symposium, I decided I was going to attempt to do my version of a "Julie and Julia".  It's my mission to cook my way through the book and blog about my experience.  A few things you should know: I am NOT a gourmet chef.  I do a pretty good job of throwing things together making them 'edible', but a culinary genius I am not.  I also live in South Dakota - the nearest Whole Foods is about a six hour drive.  So, I will be faced with a bit of shopping adversity.  The plan is to make at least one recipe per week and post how much it cost to make, details of the ingredient hunt, my cooking experience, and finally how it turned out.  There will be pictures**, a taste rating system, and flavor details.  **Disclaimer - my pictures will not look nearly as good as those in the actual book, but I will do my best to not cut-off half of the plate...**  Julie and Charles have offered to give feedback, (tell me what I did wrong) and offer moral support (I'm going to need it).  


I have a few kitchen tools to get before I can begin on my endeavor.  There is a section of the book that outlines the utensils and equipment that Julie and Charles recommend, (unfortunately the microwave is not one of them...), and I am going out of town at the end of the month (more on that soon!).  My projected start date for this project is October 1st.  In the meantime, get a copy of this book (and one for every friend and family member that could use one - I have three on order and am planning to get three more for Christmas gifts).  Cook along with me - let's make it a team adventure!!


Order your copy here:
 http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Comfort-Foods-Homestyle-Gluten-Free/dp/1936608936 and...


Let's get cooking!  Who's in?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I also found a video related to the things you discussed. David Steiner, Waste Management's CEO, gives Melissa McGinnis a tour of their CORE program and facility. The first of its kind in the US, this anaerobic converter takes food waste and meticulously converts it into energy. The end result now is energy for electricity, but the long term plan is to be able to convert food waste into jet fuel! http://youtu.be/cdCOcLaIN-E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I breezed through this book and it did look like it had some great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to this Paleo thing and so I'm trying to read up and find lots of recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read such a Nike Air Max 24-7 Mens excellent article and I am coming back tomorrow to continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,
    Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete