It all started with an email from my friend Scott. He was wondering if there was a way to make Jalapeno Poppers without cream cheese. My first thought was avocado. Well, Scott ran with my suggestion and here's the result - an AWESOME recipe for Paleo Jalapeno Poppers which, Scott refers to as, "Atomic Buffalo Turds"!!
"Super" Jalapeno Poppers
12 strips center cut, nitrate free bacon
12 jalapeno peppers
4 ripe avocados
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- Wash and core jalapenos, removing all seeds (unless you really like heat!!).
- Mash the avocados in a small mixing bowl.
- Chop the sundried tomatoes into pea-sized pieces (a food processor works great for this).
- Add honey and chopped sundried tomatoes to the mashed avocado and mix well.
- Stuff the jalapenos with the "gooey green goodness".
- Wrap each pepper in a strip of bacon.
- Grill at 250 degrees using indirect heat (this is important so that the jalepenos do not char) for 20-30 minutes. Watch closely. Scott notes that it took 30 minutes, but it was 15 degrees outside when he made them...
- "Bacon should be crisp when you pull the delicious, creamy, ode-to-goodness from the fire."
- Scott's "Martha Stewart Tip": Leave one jalepeno pepper partially cored as a 'refreshing' suprise for an unsuspecting guest. This is sure to liven and social gathering.
Let me know what you think...